Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 1 - No Yelling Challenge

Well, how did your week go?

Mine was ok, but not great!  However, I've been able to understand 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18 on a much deeper level. 

  ~ 15 See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.


I haven't been two days in row yet without yelling, but I can definitely tell what my "trigger points" are.  I can honestly say, I have done so much more "praying without ceasing", I caught myself breathing prayers almost every 5 minutes.  I've also been on my knees in fervernt prayer a whole lot more too!  A friend of mine shared with me this book, I haven't been able to purchase it yet (because it is so cheap and I'm waiting for a $25 order to get free shipping ;), however, I'd also encourage you to read it yourselves.

 
 
  I've also noticed how much dicipline plays a part into setting me off (or my husband for that matter.)  It makes a huge difference if you have not trained your children to obey the first time or to be polite and courteous.  And I've definitely seen where we need some help!  For example, one of the things that sets me off furiously is the children interrupting me or whing continually while I'm on the phone. 
 
 
 
 So this week we are going to work really hard on this.  I've told you before how much I love the book "Large Family Logisitics" by Kim Brenneman, who has 9 children herself.
 
     
 
 
  In her book, she talks about ways to teach/train your children to be polite and obey.  For the phone issue she says she trains her children 1.) Never interrupt unless it is an emergency or someone is getting hurt.  2.) If it something you really think Mama needs to know then place your hand on her arm and wait patiently until Mama can tell the person on the phone to hold on for a second.  *Absolutely no whining, yelling, crying, or fighting while Mama is on the phone (all of these things are not allowed anyway, but just to reinterate.)  If any of the offenses do happen while Mama is on the phone, as soon as she hangs up, a diciplinary action will take place!
 
  So this is what my family will be working on this week.  This will also help Mama to keep calm and not yell!  :)
 
 
Things We Will be Working on This Month:
 
1.)  No Yelling or Running inside or in Public Places (unless it's a gym)
 
2.)  Following/Helping Mama in a Store
 
3.)  Sitting Quietly/Respectfully in Church and in a Resturant
 
 
Remember, We can do this!!!  Keep calm and count to 10 or 100, whichever you need ;)  This verse was on our group page this week and I thought it very fitting!  
 
~ Proverbs 16:24   Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
 
Have a Blessed Day!!!
 
 
How is your 30 Day Challenge going?  Have you figured out what your "trigger points" are yet?  What coping mechanism are you using to stop from yelling?  I'm always looking for good ideas!! 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. My friend and I were just talking (more like venting) to each other about this exact thing last night. You have no idea how it makes me feel to know that we are not the only moms that go struggle through this. I'm going to start the 30 day challenge. Also order some books off the titus2 link. Homeschooling with a meek and quiet spirit?? YES. That's what I need and want! haha. Thank you for a great blog. I'm will be checking in from now on! Thank you and blessings to you and your family.

    The Campbell Family
    "Homeschooling family..5 kids...still trying to figure it out....:)"

    ReplyDelete