Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Skirt Wearing

 So I've been following Amy at Raising Arrows and Caroline at The Modest Mom in their series called She Wears Skirts. 

 

And this week they have a link up of skirts in pictures!  And I want to thank my 6 year-old, Derek, for taking the pictures...hehehe ;)  So here goes...



These are some of my very first skirts I actually have sewn myself!!!  I used the Homestead Blessings Sewing DVD's as a guide for meausrements and my dear friend Melisa came over and gave me lessons on how to use the sewing machine and cut and so on......Needless to say, I'm very proud of these, because I'm what you would call a sewing dummy!!!  ;)  Lindsay has been wearing skirts and dresses alot longer than me.  She loves to be in a dress and almost never wears pants or shorts anymore.  It's extremely difficult to find skirts that are decent enough for little girls anymore, so I thought, hey!  why not just start sewing them for her!  And she absolutely loves them!!!  I've sewn 2 now and have more to go!  She especially enjoys matching mama.

This is one of my favorite outfits!!!  I bought two denim skrits at a yard sale the other day, this being one of them.  They came from Catos and I found out afterwards, that Catos is about the only place left that sales denim skirts all the time.  Anyway, I love just wearing this outfit out grocery shopping or Friday nights when we all go out as a family.  You can always dress down or dress up a denim skirt.

And this is one of my favorite Sunday skirts!!!  I wear this year round.  I have a black turtle neck that I put with it in the winter.  I found it at a thrift store here in town for about $6!!!!  It's 97% cotton and 3% spandex so it's very stretchy!!!  I love this skirt!!  I wish I could find more just like it or at least material like it so I could sew my own.

So, I hope you've enjoyed, and I hope you also link up!!!!
 

15 comments:

  1. I've been following Amy's series and have been looking forward to the link up! Thank you for sharing your pictures! I'm not yet a skirt wearer, but plan on making a slow transition soon (I'm due with #5 in 4 1/2 weeks!). It's funny you say it's hard to find decent clothes for your girl! My 4 year old was wearing a skirt with the shorts under it, and I was walking behind her and realized how short it was on her! Guess my sewing machine might be coming in handy soon! :) Thank you for the encouragement to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this post! it's so refreshing to see a young woman taking a stand for Biblical femininity in a world where the gender lines are so badly blurred.

    blessings,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! You have a very sweet family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these outfits. Thanks so much for sharing your skirts with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your outfits! You've done so well sewing those skirts! I've been hoping to make some myself, but just haven't got around to it yet!
    Have a wonderful day
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, new here, I love wearing skirts also, but I am not much of a sewer but would like to try. I just need the time. The last skirt looks lovely, I have something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you ladies sooo much!!! Erin, I checked out your blog earlier after you linked up and loved what I saw and added you to follow you, I hope to become great friends!!! For the rest of you, I'll have to check out your blogs too, and hope to hear from all of you in the future!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look soooooo lovely in your skirts and your dd too. I love love love denim skirts. When I felt led to wear skirts I said " but Lord I love my jeans!" So what did I do? I got jean skirts. [o= But I have now graduated to other skirts and I am in the process of learning how to sew them.

    Blessings!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the skirts. :) They look like they turned out nicely, and your daughter seems to be thoroughly enjoying her skirt that matches Mama's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the black and white skirt and totally LOVE the fact that your little boy took the photos. Just darling!

    Oh, congrats on you for learning how to and actually sewing! I can do straight lines and then I break out in hives. ;-)

    It's so fun seeing others who have been following the series.

    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so nice! I need to see if they have a Catos in my new city. The last place we lived, they had some lovely skirts for the girls that were long, modest and cheap!
    And I have a 6 yo just like your daughter...born in skirts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea!!! Finally able to post! I've been trying to post on your blog & others for weeks now & couldn't :( Had to have my computer tech fix it. Anyhow....love your skirts, you've done a great job on them. I've asked for a *newer* sewing machine for my birthday...hoping, with fingers crossed!! I'd like to try it. Tell Derek he did a great job with his photography as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love that last skirt. do you wear a slip under it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, it's pretty thick, so I don't need to wear a slip. Now in the winter, I have leggings that I wear with all my skirts that help keep me warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you sewed the skirt from the Homestead Blessings DVDs...I have watched a couple and they are so great. It was fun to see another mama who's child took her blog post photos, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete