Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

TV or Not TV???

  Well, it's almost time for us to start school.  Friday night will be our last night of VBS, which the kids were awesome tonight by the way!!!  (Including my own, they have mommy withdraws alot, but they stayed with their own class all night!!!).  We've had our visit to the doctor this week and the two older kids went to Holiday World with their two aunts and cousin on Monday.  They had an absolute blast!!!  I was so happy they were good too! 
  I've had a rough patch lately.  I've been struggling with how God would really have us parent using televison today.  I feel like their are two kinds of "christian parents", and I've been praying alot which one is the right way......and maybe they are both right and I need to be praying which is the right way for my family.  Let me explain what I mean:
  First parent:  The parent that believes in what I would call "mostly conservative" and allows their child to watch and participate in what they believe to be age appropriate.  This is the parenting style I think I am participating in at the moment.  For example.  I let my kids watch alot of tv, and right now my son is obsessed with Avatar: The Last Airbender.  However, I'm starting to question whether or not to allow him to continue watching such shows.  I've been told by several people I trust and look up to, that as long as I competely explain that these shows are make believe and what is actually true when it comes to God, it's ok to let him view these shows.
  Second parent:  The parent that believes in what I would call "completely conservative" and allows little to no tv.  And I really like what I see from these parents, however, is this completely sheltering? 
  I am in no way bad mouthing what each parent has decided to do and I commend you for standing up for what you believe.  I guess I'd just like to hear how it works for you and what the long term effects will be. 
  I was allowed to watch tv as a child, but my mother did withhold alot of "bad" movies and I never once thought I was missing out on anything until I became older and people would refer to things I had no clue what they were talking about.  However, looking back I'm starting to think she was on the right path with this.  It has irritated my husband in the past when he has to explain things to me, since I had not seen a certain movie, but now with our children getting older, he's starting to understand.
  I know a lot of people would shrug me off to be worrying about something so small, but I just don't want to look back and wish I had done things differently.  I want to raise my children to be conservative, loving, christians, however, I do want them to experience life to the fullest, I believe that's why God gave us such a beatiful creation. 

  Anyway, I'd love to hear what your family believes and does????

No comments:

Post a Comment